Normal Topic Post from Jonah (Read 2,009 times)
HMS Mauritius Admin
Forum Administrator

Enjoy the Forum!

Post from Jonah
10th Oct, 2007 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
name: Edward A Jones

textfromform: Hi There
My name is Ed Jones I was drafted to Mauritius on 16th April 1966 as an RO1(G) and rated up to LRO(G) on 26th Jan 1967 finally leaving the Island on 16th Oct 1967. I was single at the time and so only served 18 months, I was there when the first batch of a dozen WRNS arrived led by Chief Wren Beryl Ellis, they were a very welcome sight to us victualled members and also to some of the married men, but were hated by the Naval Wives of course. I was a member of the camera club out there and have many black and white photos of the Commcen, Beach Club and various Shell collections. I lasted in the RN until I got my Pension in 1983 and now still work in Central Signal Station in Pompey dockyard retiring next July at the age of 65.
I was a Ganges boy, joined on 11/11/1958 Off No J981666.

Best Wishes
Jonah

The Administrator.
IP Logged

HMS Mauritius Admin
Forum Administrator

Enjoy the Forum!

Re: Post from Jonah
Reply #1 - 10th Oct, 2007 at 9:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Glad you've found us Jonah - you joined Ganges 12 months before me.  I Sometimes regret not staying in for my pension but I had better things to do!!  You have obviously put some time in at the Dockyard, and I bet - like me - you're looking forward to retirement.
I was involved with the Camera Club whilst in Mauritius, I can remember the dark-room being somewhere near the road, close to the NAAFI I think?
If you can find some of those B&W pics then please send them to me for posting.
Keep in touch shipmate
Regards
Martin

The Administrator.
IP Logged