Normal Topic Paddy Balsdon (Read 2,380 times)
HMS Mauritius Admin
Forum Administrator

Enjoy the Forum!

Paddy Balsdon
1st Dec, 2007 at 4:55pm
Print Post Print Post  

Message : Just to let you know that I was the first Wren Writer(G) drafted to Mauritius in November 1967 and left in April 1969. I was the only female wren (apart from the Captain's Secretary) who worked a normal day as opposed to watch keepters. It took some getting used to as I was billeted in the same room as the watchkeepers and had to learn to be quiet whilst they slept. At first I was billeted in the Wardroom Annexe then after I picked up my hook we were all transferred to the main Wrens Quarters near the com-cen. I had a really brilliant time on the Island with the main memory being the Independance Day.
My name was Paddy Balsdon and I wonder if anyone out there remembers me. The two male writers in the pay office at the same time as me were PO Brian Fuge and L.Wtr Les Jones. I also took part in the Christmas Panto in 1968 as the leading lady Alice in Dick Whittington.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Jamie J

I Love HMS Mauritius

Re: Paddy Balsdon
Reply #1 - 14th Dec, 2007 at 11:11am
Print Post Print Post  
Paddy, trying to put a face to the name.  I do remember Brian, checked up on me a few times whe I was on 9's.

I had the great fortune to be a VM in Mauritius 67 and 68.  I'm currently working with 1 ex-C watch member, Arthur Prior, and have bumped into Spud Murphy (RO2 B watch) and Jim Jenning (RO2 B watch) over the last few years.

I last met Alfe Marks (LRO, C watch I think) late 1986 and am still in touch with Mac Mcgillivray (circa 1969).

NIce to see photo's on the site, as I don't have any whatsoever.

Anyway Happy Christmas to everyone out there and a Happy New Year when it comes.
Jamie Jamieson (RO2 B Watch 1967/68).

IP Logged