Normal Topic GXO (Read 2,988 times)
King Ratt

I Love HMS Mauritius

GXO
3rd Jan, 2008 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello. Just discovered your most fascinating site. I am a long retired RO ex RFA and GXO was one of my regular traffic outlets both for ZBO and for QTC/SLT.
In 1968 I was in RFA Tidesurge/GVGR part of then Far East Fleet. Mauritius was then testing its new Ratt Ship Shore and I spent lots of time testing with GXO on various freqs/shifts/baud speeds etc all off-line. When the station eventually announced it was up and running for traffic I got the first signal thru your system. The SCO of the time sent us back "Congratulations. You are our first customer and especially in view of your position". We were somewhere off Hong Kong at that time.
I've still got the signal somewhere in my "steptoes yard".  My boss then called me King Ratt which is where my post name comes from and he also stood me a load of Tiger beer.
Always enjoyed working GXO often on CW and could not fault the operators morse-a pleasure to work.
A great station and a great site..I will check in from time to time.
Wishing all a Happy New Year.
R Thomson.

IP Logged

HMS Mauritius Admin
Forum Administrator

Enjoy the Forum!

Re: GXO
Reply #1 - 6th Jan, 2008 at 5:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the Dit 'Thomo' and best wishes to you for the New Year.
Nice to hear from someone who 'worked' the station as apposed to working in it!!
Please keep an eye on the site - I'm sure your 'post' will rattle some cages.
Regards,
Mart

The Administrator.
IP Logged

King Ratt

I Love HMS Mauritius

Re: GXO
Reply #2 - 8th Jan, 2008 at 7:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Cheers Mart

I will keep an eye on your site..would be interesting to see if anyone turns up who was on the GXO side of these contacts.
This is another interesting site for me..however the satellites now rule and we are all dinosaurs!

Rab T

IP Logged