Normal Topic served 74-76 (Read 5,883 times)
bagsybakerpti

I Love HMS Mauritius

served 74-76
12th May, 2010 at 4:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
I served in Mauritius as the Chief PTI with my PO PTI Pete Latham 1974-1976.  It would be good to hear from anybody who served with me.  I have recently revisited Mauritius & managed to meet up with Mr Harold Gopy who most of you will remember as the swimming pool assistant - unfortunately he wasn't too well but was pleased to see me & couldn't stop talking about all the people he knew!  Regards Bagsy.

IP Logged

Robert (Charlie) Chase 1974

administrator at another
 HMS Mauritius website

Re: served 74-76
Reply #1 - 16th May, 2010 at 11:29am
Print Post Print Post  
Bagsy,

I have just sent you e-mail.  If you don't receive it - please contact me at
roberthchase@btinternet.com

Regards
Robert H Chase aka Charlie Chase
REM1 at HMS Nov 73 to Nov 74

REM1 'Charlie' Chase - Comcen, Systems - Nov 73 to Nov 74 ... There is another HMS Mauritius website - 'The M.V. Mauritius Veterans' - a 'private' site, please contact me for details.
IP Logged

JohnnyNix

HMS Mauritius was a happy
time

Reply #2 - 27th Jun, 2010 at 3:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bagsy,

I have just found this site and glad to see you had reported for duty!

I have some photos of the football and rugby teams - fantastic memories!  I remember you and Pete Latham never gave much away at the back although I seem to recall you didn't like to turn too quickly Smiley.

I also remember you giving Carol (my wife in those days) a hard time for swimming in the pool when she was 36 weeks pregnant.

I hope you are in good health these days (I guess you must be as you were back in Mauritius recently).  I have had a herniated disc problem in my neck which was quite serious but had some laser surgery on it and I'm a lot better now (although still a bit crocked).

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,

John Nixon

IP Logged

chipmunk

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #3 - 17th Sep, 2010 at 9:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
HI Bagsy, You taught me to swim in the open air swimming pool And I remember the lovely pool attendant who you mention. God I was never out of that pool from then on.  I worked in the Ships office with Dave Maule and Snowy winter and my name was Sue Cooke (then) or as Snowy would say, The lovely blonde Chris from the Comcen was his sexpot and I was his jampot! Good thing I had a thick skin!  I also remember meeting your family in a pub in Cawsands a long time ago as I never ever seem to come across anyone else who was out there too.  I will have to dig out my old photos and diary to get some messages going.  Cheers!   Smiley

IP Logged

irenecowley

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #4 - 2nd Nov, 2010 at 8:01am
Print Post Print Post  
hi bagsy, iremember you and your family well, not sure if i was known as twiggy then, but irene sinden, one of the nurses, quite sporty, not very good but tried hard. its a knock out, i could go on for ages what a good time we all had. Smiley irene

IP Logged

Ian Hunneybell

HMS Mauritius (school)
1974-1976

Reply #5 - 6th Dec, 2013 at 12:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bagsy,

I was out there from '74-'76 as a little sprout, aged 10-12.

I've still got my swimming certificates - starting a "1 width" ending at "2 miles" a few short months later! - signed by your good self!

I have great memories of you and the pool, all happy ones. The sun always shone, there, right? Never a cloudy day (apart from Gervaise in '75 and Ines shortly afterwards).

I went back in November 2012 for the first time and there are many recognisable landmarks still there including, I believe, the pool.

Cheers,
Ian Hunneybell

IP Logged