Normal Topic Cardiff City visit 1969 (Read 6,526 times)
Taff Pearce

I Love HMS Mauritius

Cardiff City visit 1969
13th Jul, 2010 at 10:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi All
      Do any members remember the visit of Cardiff City to the Island in 1969 ?. I along with my wife
and Roy Wilkinson and his wife went to watch them play the island team in Curepipe, and after the game we went to the post match reception. Being a Cardiff lad and an old school pal of one of the players,(Steve Derrett), I introduced Roy to the manager and players. Needless to say we invited the team to HMS and they split up between the Senior Rates and VM's Messes, and had a whale of a time. After the bar closed I took them to the Regent, and ended up back at their hotel (La Morne), and went A.w.o.l. for 2 days , From home not duty,(i was on leave at the time). I ended up at 3 am telling Jimmy Scoular the Manager what was wrong with his team and how to put it right. He took it all in good humour, being an ex-submariner. When i finally arrived home my wife gave me one hell of a roasting, but being a creep I grovelled and it was soon forgotten. Roy fixed up a match between HMS and Cardiff and when they played they mixed the sides up for a better game.

Best Wishes
Taff Pearce

IP Logged

HMS Mauritius Admin
Forum Administrator

Enjoy the Forum!

Re: Cardiff City visit 1969
Reply #1 - 13th Jul, 2010 at 12:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the memory Taff - I remember the visit well (part of it anyway, things got a bit vague down the Regent!!) I think the Cardiff goaly had just joined them from Coventry.  I remember Mick French ('D' watch comcen) playing in the 'friendly' he impressed Scouler.  Wasn't the Curepipe game a draw?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Taff Pearce

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #2 - 13th Jul, 2010 at 1:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mart
         Many thanks for message, the result of the game in Curepipe was 3-1 to Cardiff. The goalkeeper for Cardiff was Fred Davies and, you were close, he actually played for Wolves before Cardiff. Remember Mick French well good left winger, I never made the 1st X1 was reserve a few times but played regularly for the 2nd X1. If it was u who won the Long jump, I won the 440yds and came 3rd in the 880yds that year, Alfie Hines won it and Bob Cross was 2nd. Happy days !!!

Regards
Taff

IP Logged

HMS Mauritius Admin
Forum Administrator

Enjoy the Forum!

Reply #3 - 22nd Jul, 2010 at 12:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good memory you've got Taff!  Yes, won the Triple and Long Jump in 1969 - failed miserably the following year, can't remember the officers name that won. I put it down to him having trainers with spikes, I was still running in deck slippers!!
Mart

The Administrator.
IP Logged

DAVE SMITH

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #4 - 14th Sep, 2010 at 4:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Taff - I recall the Cardiff visit well and had a drink and a laugh with some of their lads. Also went to the Curepipe game (3-1) If I remember correctly they played twice and the other game  was 0-0 (they were probably all hung over !). Happy days !
About 5 years ago I found the programme for the game in my loft. I had had it signed by all the players. I put it on e-bay and it went for £251 !!!!
I was an RO in the Commcen (A watch) 1968-69
Regards
Dave Smith

IP Logged

Robert (Charlie) Chase 1974

administrator at another
 HMS Mauritius website

Reply #5 - 14th Sep, 2010 at 10:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Taff,
Ask Dave to e-mail me - tell him to join us on our site.
Charlie Chase at roberthchase@btinternet.com

DAVE SMITH wrote on 14th Sep, 2010 at 4:53pm:
Hi Taff - I recall the Cardiff visit well and had a drink and a laugh with some of their lads. Also went to the Curepipe game (3-1) If I remember correctly they played twice and the other game  was 0-0 (they were probably all hung over !). Happy days !
About 5 years ago I found the programme for the game in my loft. I had had it signed by all the players. I put it on e-bay and it went for £251 !!!!
I was an RO in the Commcen (A watch) 1968-69
Regards
Dave Smith

REM1 'Charlie' Chase - Comcen, Systems - Nov 73 to Nov 74 ... There is another HMS Mauritius website - 'The M.V. Mauritius Veterans' - a 'private' site, please contact me for details.
IP Logged

artie

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #6 - 19th Dec, 2010 at 9:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was also present at the Cardiff game, enjoyed it very much, i remember big Jc scoring with a header, i couldn't kick a ball that hard. I played for the first team on two occasions but it was only when they were short due to work committments. I was a regular for the second team and enjoyed my playing days. I took my referees exam Nov 69 and went on to ref some great games. I done some inter service games and was rewarded before i left the mob with the navy cup final aat Yeovil. What a honour.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

artie

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #7 - 31st Dec, 2010 at 8:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
artie wrote on 19th Dec, 2010 at 9:34pm:
I was also present at the Cardiff game, enjoyed it very much, i remember big Jc scoring with a header, i couldn't kick a ball that hard. I played for the first team on two occasions but it was only when they were short due to work committments. I was a regular for the second team and enjoyed my playing days. I took my referees exam Nov 69 and went on to ref some great games. I done some inter service games and was rewarded before i left the mob with the navy cup final at Yeovil. What a honour.

Artie Shaw LSA (v)

YIMAIM  
IP Logged