Normal Topic My time in Mauritius (Read 6,470 times)
Andy Belfitt

I Love HMS Mauritius

My time in Mauritius
10th Aug, 2011 at 6:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Dear all,

I was randomly searching around the internet when I came across your HMS Mauritius website. I’m not sure when your website was up and running, but I wish that I had come across it during my time in Mauritius.

My name is Andy. I am an ex-Radio Supervisor with the Royal Navy and I worked at the British High Commission in Port Louis as a civilian from 2002 – 2005. My family and I really enjoyed our posting on the “Green Island” and judging by those who have contributed to the website and uploaded photographs it must have been an enjoyable foreign ‘draft’ for service personnel and the RN back in the 60s/70s.

During my time in Mauritius I tried to keep memories and service links between the UK and Mauritius going. I became a committee member and Tennis Captain of the ex-Officers Club, now called the Mauritius Gymkhana Club (MGC) in Vacoas. In fact there are still a few staff members working there when the Royal Navy finally moved out. One member of staff showed me an old photograph of the last Commanding Officer and the original large ship’s crest in a store cupboard behind the bar. I had the crest cleaned up and the photograph restored and re-framed and they now hang proudly behind the bar in the club. We held a small rededication ceremony.

In 2004 I arranged for the British Army Football Team a tour to Mauritius and Rodrigues. The tour was a great success and included football matches against the Special Mobile Force (SMF), a local League Division One side, Rodrigues and the Mauritian national team. We also organised coaching for local school children through the British Council; over 700 children turned up on the Gymkhana playing fields to take part.

After I had returned to the UK in 2005 I worked for a couple of years back at Commcen Whitehall in London, through the Naval Reserves. Unfortunately it was decided that Commcen Whitehall would be remotely managed from Portsmouth and the London site be closed down. This prompted me to arrange a trip for 12 Comms/Greenies to Mauritius because Commcen Whitehall and Commcen Mauritius were linked electronically before Mauritius closed in the 70s. The trip lasted for 10 days and we had a full day courtesy of the SMF visiting the old Commcen Building and transmitter/receiver sites. Please see attached press article printed in 2006, the text is in French.

The only people I know to have served in HMS Mauritius are Clive Acott, ex-comms, Joe Rabaud, Mauritian ex-comms, who still lives in Rose Hill and Brian Jones, ex-jack dusty.

IP Logged

Robert (Charlie) Chase 1974

administrator at another
 HMS Mauritius website

Re: My time in Mauritius
Reply #1 - 15th Aug, 2011 at 4:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Andy,

PLEASE read the message that I have sent you.
PLEASE e-mail me.

Regards
Robert H Chase

REM1 Charlie Chase 1974

REM1 'Charlie' Chase - Comcen, Systems - Nov 73 to Nov 74 ... There is another HMS Mauritius website - 'The M.V. Mauritius Veterans' - a 'private' site, please contact me for details.
IP Logged