Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Forthcoming visit to Mauritius. (Read 5,783 times)
HonestAl

I Love HMS Mauritius

Forthcoming visit to Mauritius.
26th Jan, 2016 at 10:57am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi, I served out at HMS from November 1964 until May 1966 and worked at Tombeau Bay on D watch. My wife and I plan to visit Mauritius in September of this year - decided to spend some of the kids inheritance!
We don't plan on basking in the sun for 10 days but to tour as much of the island as we can (including Vacoas, Curepipe and other old stomping grounds). We would appreciate any tips or pointers and advice from anyoune who has recently visited. Many Thanks.

IP Logged

Semaphore05

I Love HMS Mauritius

Re: Forthcoming visit to Mauritius.
Reply #1 - 14th Feb, 2016 at 9:48am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi!
My son, born in RNH in 1969, visited Mauritius a couple of years ago and as far as I remember he said he needed a pass or approval to visit the old HMS! I don't know exactly who he got approval from - it might be worth emailng the Mauritius High Commissions to check it out.
Enjoy your visit.
Alan Barry
RO1 (T) 1968-70
Commcen Mauritius

IP Logged

Basa

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #2 - 14th Apr, 2016 at 12:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi HonestAl,
I was in Tombeau Bay D watch all through 1966 don't remember anyone Honest.........Barry Gallagher  Grin

IP Logged

HonestAl

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #3 - 22nd Apr, 2016 at 4:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Semaphore - thanks for the info. I believe you have to apply for a visit to H.M.S. and I'm sure there is info on this site so I plan to take steps a little closer to the time that we go. Hope I didn't leave owing anyone any money  Huh Huh

Basa - I think I remember you. I was a young OD at the time. Others in the watch (if I remember correctly) were Ian Leith, the Killick was Smudge Smith and there was an REM1 Bungy Edwards. Smudge messaged me some long time ago asking if I was the one they used to make strip down the Bren gun at Tombeau on nights . He was spot on  Sad Sad

IP Logged

Basa

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #4 - 24th Apr, 2016 at 11:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Al
Not sure that was D watch - we had Ian McIntosh as PO, John Lewis as Killick, various REMs - myself, Frank Harvey, "George" Best, Scouse Stannard.
I took over from Titch Thornton if you remeber him.
Remember Ian Leith - shared VMs accom in A Block for a while.

IP Logged

HonestAl

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #5 - 25th Apr, 2016 at 3:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Basa - Hmmmmmm - Could have sworn it was D watch. I left in May 66 and certainly remember Scouse Stannard and Titch Thornton. Titch came to my wedding in August 1970 with some other oppo's from Collingwood. Still, I could be wrong - such a long time ago.

IP Logged

Basa

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #6 - 26th Apr, 2016 at 11:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
What's your name - that might prompt me.

IP Logged

HonestAl

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #7 - 2nd May, 2016 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Basa - it's Alan Hatcher.

IP Logged

Alan2264

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #8 - 5th May, 2016 at 9:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
I went on holiday to Mauritius about 3 years ago.  (stayed at an hotel in the North East of the Island at Post Layfayette).  Went by taxi to the ex HMS Mauritius and hoped they would let me have a quick look round.  Met by two very 'jumpy' security men on the main gate who were unsympathetic and almost threatened to arrest me !! It is now used by the Police Special Forces I believe.  I did see on some website that you can write to the Police Commissioner at Port Louis and get written permission to visit but I never got round to it.  If you want to look round then you must get prior authorisation.  I saw from the road the blocks of M Q's and the football fields are still opposite the main gate.  I called for a coffee at a cafe in a shopping centre in Curepipe but didn't recognise much of the town.  I could not remember where exactly the R N Beach Club was located but have found the location recently by reading the posts.  It is now used as a Training School for the Mauritius Coast Guard which is part of the Police Force.  Had a good holiday but I was a bit saddened as there was very little Britishness about the Island it is as if the British never ruled for 150 years or so.  Still the world moves on and they are after all an independent country.  Have a great holiday. Regards Alan            

IP Logged

HonestAl

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #9 - 6th May, 2016 at 5:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Alan 2264.  Many thanks for the information - much appreciated. I am in two minds as to going through the paper shuffling to take a look round based on the fact that, as you said, everything has probably changed. Me and my wife have visited quite a few of the places that I went to since I left the R.N. and (as would be expected after so many years) nothing has remained the same. But I did manage to find the gut (Strait Street) in Malta last year. We are staying out at Flic en Flac and hope to spend some time on the beach and the rest sightseeing. Cheers.

IP Logged

Basa

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #10 - 22nd May, 2016 at 12:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Bloody Hell - Alan Hatcher (Maggie Hurley). Good grief I was trying to think of anyone I knew called Al - but you were always Alan. Yes I definately remember you at Tombeau.
For some reason I've always avoided going back to Mauritius in case of disappointment - I worked for British Airways for 39 years before retiring and still get two free tickets to anywhere each year so I really didn't have any excuse not to go. Tell us how you get on out there.
Barry
PS I used to knock around with Johnny Atkinson out there.

IP Logged

HonestAl

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #11 - 22nd May, 2016 at 7:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Basa. I remember you too from Mauritius and I also remember John Atkinson and also Maggie Hurley - still have a photo of her along with others - I think it was at a Christmas do out there. I think she packed me in for a lad called Jock Freeland (could be Freeman). I then met up with a Mauritian lass towards the end of my time over there but nothing came of that. I will certainly keep you in the picture regarding our trip. Catch you later.

IP Logged

Necky57

Best run ashore ever

Reply #12 - 15th Aug, 2016 at 5:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Alan its Pete Swann, yes I remember Titch Thornton and also Graham Davies (big Taff,) Mac Mciness, Mac Mc McGlouchlan, Smudge Smith, Brum Street, Bas Blandon, Robert who did lots for us, and the chap in your mess who liked the rolling stones and the  other one who liked Del Shannon. Wow this is really jogging the memory.
Necky

IP Logged

HonestAl

I Love HMS Mauritius

Reply #13 - 26th Aug, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Pete. Thanks for getting in touch. I remember you along with some of the other names that you mentioned. I also seem to think we may have been in Collingwood at the same time. Some other names I remember are Jock Freeland, a lad with the surname Atkinson and another lad with the surname Lowe who's wife came out a bit later . I also remember Robert - never forget the first morning there - there was a tap on my shoulder and there was Robert with a cup of tea.  Smiley

IP Logged