Normal Topic Some thoughts of Mauritius in 1969 (Read 725 times)
Alan2264

I Love HMS Mauritius

Some thoughts of Mauritius in 1969
5th May, 2016 at 9:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
New member - Alan Hewitt - I feel a bit of a fraud as I only served at Mauritius Commcen for 4 or 5 WEEKS in May 1969.  I was on loan draft from the Fleetpool, based at Kranji W/T in Singapore.  My task was to work a link to HMS Intrepid (or was it the Fearless ?) which was in the Indian Ocean carrying out satellite communications trials.  I think I was attached to D Watch and the only things I remember are that I was VM and shared a mess with an R O 2 (G) who was a Geordie (with a long surname but I can't remember it), who usually worked on the morse circuit to Majunga.  I also remember P O (P T I) Roy Wilkinson as I used to watch him play football for a local team before he joined the R N.  He was born and bred in a small mining village of Duckmanton in Derbyshire.  He invited me to his M Q to meet his family and to share a few beers.  I think this was the same day as Cardiff City F C came to Mauritius on a post season tour and played a friendly at Curepipe football stadium.  Hundreds of personnel from the base were in the stand making a right noise as we had suddenly all become Cardiff City fans.  Does any member remember the Cardiff match and does anyone know the whereabouts of Roy Wilkinson ? Reading the posts on the forum has brought back many happy memories.

IP Logged